Blemish, brown mark, teastain, whatever

I went to see my GP on Friday.  He smiled when I walked in the door and said he was glad I had come to see him.  I was surprised by such a welcome and asked him why.  Because, he said, I like to hear from my patients firsthand rather than read about them in The Irish Times.  She was only doing some research on behalf of my blemish as she calls it, I said.  Would I ever bypass you?  Besides it’s free with the medical card to see you and that clinic on Sandymount Green would probably charge an arm and a leg.

It’s only a smallish brown mark and if I use a concealer it hardly shows, but it does seem to be getting bigger.

It’s not that I’m vain or anything, well only a little bit, but people have been saying weird things to me lately.  Is that a bruise on your forehead or it’s a bit early for ashes or I’d get something done about that and one elderly lady said “they used to call them tea stains in my day”.

My  good GP  is referring me to a dermatologist.  It will probably take an age to get an appointment meanwhile I might have to grow a fringe.

That’s not me by the way, in case you’re wondering, just some beautiful model from Google images.

I’ll keep you posted.


7 thoughts on “Blemish, brown mark, teastain, whatever

  1. You’re so vain you probably think this comment is about you. (And it is so that’s grand.) Really liked this post, very funny. Think that creative writing course is doing wonders for your prose. Hope the good doctor wasn’t too offended!

  2. With regard to your previous blog I wonder if the following is of interest
    Ron Hutton grandfather to Amelia Hutton
    I was born in East London in June 1926 between the 2 world wars. One had finished about 9 years previous and the next started 13 years hence. This puts me in my 85th year. I was second born (I had a brother 18 months older) and was born into poverty. For the first five years of my life we lived in a slum tenement which we shared with 4 other families. There was no running water in the house and we shared an outdoor toilet with the other families. The only water tap was in the yard and that froze solid every winter.
    My father worked hard as a fur dresser and dyer and was also a professional boxer. He worked hard in the factory and trained during the evenings after work. He had 300 professional bouts and was always pleased to say that he was never knocked out. Due to his hard work by the time I was ten we had moved into our own 2 bedroomed house in a much better neighbourhood. By then I had a sister.
    In 1939 (when I was 13) two things happened. My second sister was born and the Second World War broke out. All schools were closed for a while, and we were evacuated from London to Norfolk but Mother did not like that at all. The folk in Norfolk were odd. A bit like the difference between Dublin and Cork. We returned to London to 4 years of air raids and bombing which we were lucky to survive.
    Although most children left school at 14 (including my future wife Eva), as I attended a slightly higher grade school I did not leave until I was 15. In those days there were always jobs for school leavers and I took a job which, eventually, led me to become an apprenticed sheet metal worker.
    I met my wife at a dance when we were both 16 and due to the uncertainty of life in war time married her 2 years later when we were both 18. We lived in a 2 roomed flat at the top of a house shared by 2 other families and just about escaped from being bombed out.
    Due to me being an apprentice in a trade needed in wartime, I was not called up into the forces at the normal age of 18. I was called up into the RAF after VE day in 1946 when I was 20 and spent the next 3 years hating every minute of it.
    Penny my daughter was born in 1949 and I left the RAF shortly after returning to my old job which had changed considerably. I did not like it and started out as a builder and decorator which I did for few years before taking the job as a manager of a sheetmetal firm. I worked hard and eventually left to start my own company and as far as business was concerned never looked back, although I have to confess there were many roller coaster years. My son Chris was born in 1956. I spent loads of money educating him but he left school with not many qualifications. Stinker!
    During these years we lived in a variety of flats and houses eventually finishing with me buying our own 5 bedroomed house in a much higher class area when Chris was about 3. Our next and last house as a family was a gorgeous old thatched house (built in 1640) where we all had our own suites of rooms.
    I am afraid that because I was working so hard I saw little of the children during their formative years and they have their mother to thank for their upbringing. I can only say that when we did get together there was always lots of fun and games. That is until they were about 14 or 15 when like all children of that age they decided that I was on old frump.
    I couldn’t find many old pictures but the enclosed shows Eva and I just before our marriage She knitted the turtle neck jumper I am wearing but because we did not have enough clothing coupons for the wool it never had any sleeves. The older picture is of Eva with her mum. I think she was about 2. The last one is of me and Penny in Trafalgar Square when she was about 6

    • That must be the longest comment ever. Maybe you you start your own blog. As a matter of interest why was Amelia the only one singled out for mention when you have many other grandchildren and great grandchildren? Only asking!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s